This post may contain affiliate links to products we love and use. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Are you a productive homemaker, or do you struggle with laziness sometimes? Well, I certainly do and I am a recovering lazy homemaker. Let’s dive into my story and what helped (and still helps) me to overcome laziness and seeing the beauty and importance of working hard.
My laziness started in High School. I was really good at learning and realised I could get ‘good enough’ grades without learning instead of learning for good grades. So I basically went for good enough and never did the best I could.
And the ‘not give it my all’ trickled into my homemaking when we were married. The first years were great but I slowly started to do things less and less. I started to mop every other week instead of every week, clean the toilet every other day instead of daily, etc.
ON top of all that, I also started a side hustle (which went really bad. You can see more on how and why in this video). With my side hustle, I put more and more time into building the business and put my home aside. Well, that didn’t turn out great as you can imagine.
But then God really called me back to homemaking. Letting go of my side hustle and focus on what is important again; the family and the home we live in. One way He did this, was through the Bible and a ton of Bible verses.
What changed me?
It all started with the Proverbs 31 woman. God told me He wanted me back in the home (which I was at home, but not really present if you know what I mean) and I decided to look into the role of a woman. And when you google anything related to Bible and woman, Proverbs 31 will pop up. So I started there.
Two verses that stood out to me are:
- Proverbs 31:25-27 which says: “She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. 26 When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. 27 She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.”
- Proverbs 31:13 which says “She seeks out wool and linen [with care] and works with willing hands.”
After that I started to look into laziness more, because I actually knew it was a problem for me. So I started to google verses that stood out to me, and these were the ones I decided to write down and hang around our home.
- God blesses the works of our hands: Deut 28:12
- Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. Proverbs 10:4
- Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Tim 5:8
- 9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? 10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest— 11 and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man. 12 A troublemaker and a villain, who goes about with a corrupt mouth, Prov 6:9-12
- “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.” Romans 12:11
- Whatever you do, work at it wholeheartedly as though you were doing it for the Lord and not merely for people. Colossians 3:23
What we can learn from this
All these beautiful verses tell me two things:
- God doesn’t want you to be lazy. There are a ton of Bible verses that speak about laziness, working hard etc. So it is actually very biblical to give your everything to whatever you decide to do.
- Which brings me to point two: Do everything as if you do it for Him personally. Doing the dishes? Think about how much different your attitude would be if you did it for Him! When I started to think about that, I realised I wasn’t doing very well in this department.. I knew dishes had to be done, but decided to sit on the couch instead. Well, if Jesus would be next to me in the room and ask me to do the dishes, I would NOT sit on the couch.
With all this to say, I am not saying you should work non-stop and just find more to do every single second of your day. What I AM saying though; just do what needs to be done, without complaining and always look at yourself and ask if you are being lazy.